Friday, November 24, 2006

Separation: Silver Linings

I didn’t realize that separating would give me the opportunity

To start pulling myself together.

I didn’t anticipate that separating from my spouse

Would enable me to deepen my relationships with my kids, my sister, my parents, my friends, my colleagues, and all of the other people in my life.

I never imagined that talking about my separation

Would inspire other women to tell me their soul-wrenching stories of struggling with difficult marriages, divorce and the challenges of daily survival.

I didn’t foresee that separating

Would lead to unexpected encounters and engrossing conversations with people I had never met before.

I didn’t expect the outpouring of warmth, compassion and support that I have experienced since I moved out.

I didn’t know that I would find myself looking forward

To the rest of my life.

I didn’t believe that I would feel stronger

Now that I am on my own.

I didn’t think that I would have the confidence

To face the constant challenges and carry on.

I never dreamed that I would be in this place at this time in my life

And that it would feel OK.

I didn’t realize to what extent an ending

Can turn out to be a new beginning.

1 comment:

Di Mackey said...

This captured so beautifully the way that I felt when my marriage ended a few years ago.

Beautiful writing, I'm glad I found your blog :)